Sunday, April 5, 2015

Maple Street Biscuit Company in San Marco

Saturday night John and I planned to take a nice long walk around San Marco and then eat dinner at the San Marco Movie Theatre and Grill. But you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...Storm clouds rolled in and we had to cut our walk short so we ducked in to  the nearest restaurant to seek shelter and fill our bellies.

Maple Street Biscuit Company

I have to admit that I was a little hesitant because to tell the truth I don't really like biscuits all that much. Yes, I'm a southern girl born and raised but I've never really cared for biscuits...too much doughy stuff going on not to mention a boat load of white flour carbs.

But we were there and I ventured to make the best of it.

The menu was posted on a large blackboard on the wall. So many choices. I was glad when the cashier took the time to explain some of the items and he told us his personal favorites.

As soon as he pointed out the Squawking Goat I knew that's what I wanted. Deep fried chicken with a patty of goat cheese smothered with house made pepper jelly.

John ordered The Blues Biscuit. Pulled pork topped with house made slaw and BBQ sauce. Just like Memphis.

I was thrown for a loop when the cashier asked for our favorite TV show. What? It seems that's how they call you when your food is ready. It took a few seconds to gather our thoughts and come up with "The Big Bang Theory". The only TV show we watch together on a regular basis.

It did give us something to talk about while we waited for our food. We should have said Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel or Chips, Bay Watch or the Vicar of Dibley. Something more original...

Our food came out pretty quickly. They called our TV show and John went to pick it up at the counter. The cashier helped him bring it to the table. Hot and yummy looking.

The Squawking Goat
Flaky biscuit, all natural fried chicken breast, fried goat cheese medallion and house made pepper jelly.


I actually liked the biscuit. It was nice and brown on top and flaky inside. Not doughy at all.  The chicken was good but the best thing was the pepper jelly. Sweet and spicy. The cool, creamy goat cheese was a nice complement to the spicy jelly. 


The Blues Biscuit
Flaky biscuit, pulled pork topped with house made slaw and BBQ sauce. 


Unlike me, John loves biscuits and he said these were pretty darn good ones! Thumbs up from a great admirer of the biscuit. 

Fried Green Tomatoes
Nicely battered with a little kick. Deep fried but not greasy. So good!




We were pleasantly stuffed when the cashier came to our table with a plate of  pecan cinnamon biscuits covered in white icing. Complementary of the house for first time customers.  

Pecan Cinnamon Biscuit Smothered in Icing

OH MY GOODNESS! 

It would have been rude to refuse so of course we had to eat them. Every last crumb and I'm not ashamed to admit I even scraped the icing off the plate. 

So much for my dislike of biscuits!

Dinner was  $23.00 and we had to bus our own table but everything was really good. Big portions served hot. The restaurant was clean and comfortable and the staff extremely friendly. 

I was happy that the rain forced us inside. 


Maple Street Biscuit Company 
 2004 San Marco Blvd
Jacksonville, Florida 32207

Monday - Saturday 7am - 2pm
Friday and Saturday 5pm - 9pm
Closed on Sunday


Two other locations:
410 North 3rd Street
Jacksonville Beach, Florida 32250

1171 Edgewood Ave South
Jacksonville, Florida 32207

Maple Street Biscuit Company on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. I respond to every comment and I'll stop by your blog for a visit as well and will leave a comment for you.