The Prayer Book Cross
The 60 foot sandstone cross was a gift from the Church of England in tribute to the first English language sermon and the first use of the Book of Common Prayer in California Erected in 1894 on one of the highest points it towered over the park and was originally intended to be seen from the sea. Today the cross is almost completely hidden by the trees. The cross isn't visible from the road and if it wasn't for the small sign posted we wouldn't have known it was there.
Engraved on the front:
Presented to Golden Gate Park at the opening of the Midwinter Fair January 1, AD 1894 - As a memorial of the service held on the shore of Drakes Bay about Saint John Baptists Day June 24 Anno Domini 1579 by Francis Fletcher priest of the Church of England and chaplain of Sir Francis Drake chronicler of the service.
Engraved on the back: