Thursday, February 18, 2016

A to Z Guidebook - Walking the Cinque Terre in Italy


View of Vernazza, Italy from the trail above the town.


Five fishing village make up the Cinque Terre in the Liguria region in north-west Italy.This area is known as the Italian Riviera and the villages are connected by train or on foot by way of  narrow cliff side trails. 

The villages of the Cinque Terre or five lands beginning at the northern most are: Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggirore.

We were there in November and although you could visit each village by train the only trail open was between Monterosso and Vernazza. 

Every guidebook I read stated that the trail leaving Monterosso and heading towards Vernazza was the most difficult. But some things you have to experience to really comprehend. It wasn't the worst trail I've walked but it seemed that the climb up was unending!  It helped that there was a series of stone staircases leading up and the reward of seeing Vernazza from the cliff high above the town made the journey worth while. 



The Cinque Terre was one of my most favorite places on our trip to Italy. 


Check out other 'I' places to visit over at Tiffin's A - Z Guidebook.


A-Z Guidebook Badge

4 comments:

  1. Italy is a popular topic this time around (only to be expected I suppose). I haven't done Cinque Terre so I better get on to it whilst my knees are still up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks beautiful. i'm afraid my knees are way past it tho:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty rough climb. Living in Florida I'm not used to walking hills or going up. Catching my breath is more of a problem for me but if I go slow and take breaks I can do the climb. For now at least it might be different in a few years!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. I respond to every comment and I'll stop by your blog for a visit as well and will leave a comment for you.