Saturday, October 4, 2014

Walking in Our Neighborhood

"Manners is the key thing. Say for instance when you're growing up, you're walking down the street, you've got to tell everybody good morning. Everybody. You can't pass one person."
Usain Bolt


When we first started walking in our new neighborhood we were surprised by how many cars passed by and no one acknowledged us.

 No lifting of the hand for a friendly wave, no nod of the head and certainly no eye contact. 

I was discouraged by the thought that we'd moved to the wrong place. A place so unfriendly that our  own neighbors could so easily ignore us we walked down the street. John on the other hand accepted the situation as a challenge. He was determined to break the barrier and get people to wave. 

So from that moment on we waved at every single car that past by. At every single person we saw standing in their yard or on the front porch. And by wave I mean a hand up in the air so you can't miss it kind of wave! 

Guess what? In just a few short days we had pretty much everyone greeting us on the road. Even a few arm out the window kind of waves and a horn honk here and there:-)

 It's amazing how a simple wave can change your whole attitude and make the day seem sunnier. It's also just plain good manners!


I do love my neighborhood and I walk almost everyday. I'm sharing just a few photos from  my last morning  walk. 


There's usually a few people out walking and biking.


Many houses in our neighborhood are located on 2-3 acre lots with a few mini farms thrown in. 



Parts of the sidewalk (where there is a sidewalk) look like a trail in the forest. 



Beautiful 'weeds' grow in all the ditches...



That's just a glimpse of my neighborhood. 


Lace up and get to know your neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. I respond to every comment and I'll stop by your blog for a visit as well and will leave a comment for you.