Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Eating in a Castle - Auf Schonburg. Oberwesel, Germany

As a special treat on our trip to Germany we spent the night in a castle. Not a Disney make believe but a real life thousand year old castle on the Rhine. If you want to see more about the history of the castle and a peek into our room in the tower check out this post "A Night in a Castle - Auf Schonburg, Oberwesel, Germany".


But now on to one of my favorite activities.

Eating!

I don't think we had any bad food on this trip but I'll have to say the food at the castle was pretty darn good! Maybe it was the atmosphere or the company but this was the most elegant meal and truly delicious.




Before dinner drinks with Nancy and Charlie.



Our lovely travel companions. Yes,Charlie that includes you!
!


John and Patti





The menu 




The table was elegantly set. The bread was fresh and warm from the oven. Real butter, yum!




First course 

Venison stew with a square of potato cake




Soup course

Beef consomme with mushroom egg custard



Main course

Fillet of veal with Bearnaise sauce
Asparagus and Sea salt potatoes

I have never eaten veal before and I'll probably not eat it again but it was melt in your mouth tender and delicious!




Dessert

Baked apple cake with Riesling Sabayon and homemade chocolate chip ice cream. 

An interesting combination I'm not sure I'd have put together but it worked. 




An of course to finish the evening a good cup of coffee. Anytime we ordered coffee it always come with a little something. Even a McDonald's we got a chocolate candy. This little treat was so much much better. Chocolate mousse with whipped cream and chocolate curls. 


Breakfast

We hated to see our stay in the castle come to an end but they sent us off with a hearty breakfast. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. I respond to every comment and I'll stop by your blog for a visit as well and will leave a comment for you.