Monday, October 1, 2018

Day 1 - 2018 Write 31 - What is Plant-Based and Am I a Vegan?

I don't eat the flesh of animals or products made from dairy or eggs. I search online for Vegan recipes and meal plans. I ask for a Vegan menu at a restaurant and I check the ingredients on packaged foods and look for the Vegan label.


So what am I?


According to the Vegan Society

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practical all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food clothing or any other purpose." 

Well I have to admit that I wear leather shoes and Merino wool hiking socks, occasionally eat honey and take the grandkids to the zoo.

So OK, I'm not a Vegan and I won't disrespect the Vegan movement out there by claiming to be one.


My reasons for giving up animal products were strictly selfish.

Our Health! 


My health and my husband's. We both had elevated blood pressure and extra pounds that we couldn't shed.

I had tried several diets. Weight Watcher, Paleo, Keto, Adkins, low carb, no carb, high protein. It was very tiring getting on a new diet and having it fail time and time again with no results. I was almost at the giving up point.

Then one fateful day at dinner I noticed that my husband had only eaten half of the baked chicken breast I had fixed. I asked him if something was wrong with it and he said no he just thought he'd try and cut down on meat. By golly, the idea was planted and it rolled from there.

Along the way I ran into such people as Dr. Micheal Greger, Dr. John McDougall, and Dr. Neal Barnard and many more who preached a whole food, plant-based way of eating.

Once I saw the truth there was no turning back and by January of 2017 we were completely off animal products and onto a brand new life style. I don't consider this a diet but a way of living. And although I didn't begin this journey with animal welfare in mind I find that by giving up eating these products I'm helping the animals and our planet.

For the month of October I'll be writing more about how we got to this point, what we eat, how a plant based diet is nutritionally complete and how our health and life has improved.

I hope you'll join me as I Write 31 Days.

I'll leave you with a super easy to put together plant-based recipe.

Sweet and Spicy Veggie Stir Fry


Note on how to water fry. To reduce the amount of oil used in a dish try frying in water, Just heat the pan add a few tablespoons of water and add the veggies. Stir them quickly and add more water as it evaporates. 

Use any combination of veggies you like. Mushrooms, pepper, snow peas, celery, bok choy, broccoli, carrots.  The list is endless!

1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1 zucchini sliced
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup green beans left whole
1 small onion chopped
Water to stir fry the veggies.


Heat a large pan or wok. Add 2 - 3 Tablespoons of water. Add the veggies and stir fry till crisp tender.

Make the sauce

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water or veggie broth
2 Tablespoons maple syrup or brown or white sugar
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (available in the International food section of most grocery stores)
1 teaspoon corn starch
Mix together.

When the veggies are cooked to your liking pour the sauce over and cook till thicken and shiny

To make the crispy noodles thinly slice flour tortilla and bake on a cookie sheet at 325 degrees F for 10 - 15 minutes. Check every 3-4 minutes until the noodles are crisp and slightly brown.

Serve over rice and enjoy!






A writing challenge every Ocober every day

























.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. I respond to every comment and I'll stop by your blog for a visit as well and will leave a comment for you.