Friday, February 19, 2016

Walking the Rail to Trail from Levanto to Bonassola Italy

It seems that all over the world old railroad lines are being re-purposed into walking and biking trails. We found one such trail while visiting Levanto, Italy. It is an unused railroad line that runs along the Ligurian coast and connects the towns of  Levanto, Bonassola and Famura.


The trail is paved and has divided lanes for walkers and bikers. There are several lighted tunnels to walk through along the way.



Me and my favorite guy.

It's an easy, flat trail with plenty of opportunities to view the beautiful Legurian Sea as you walk.
     
View looking back on Levanto

There are several places you can leave the trail and get to the water. It was a little chilly in November but I'm sure in the summer it would be wonderful to dip your feet in the cool, green water. 





Lots of interesting nooks and crannies to explore along the way. Josh wanted to check out the many caves craved into the rocks below. Might have to come back in the summer for that.






Me and my other favorite guy.


The trail between Levanto and Bonassola is around 3 miles one way but it's flat and an easy walk. We  took a side trail along the cliffs and then rewarded ourselves by having lunch in Bonassola before heading back.


One of the best ways to explore an area is on foot. There's always fun and interesting things to check out along the way.


This is a short video we took if you'd like to see and hear the sea from the trail.

I wish I could remember what I was telling my son. He's looking at me like "mom, you're crazy"!



Stay tuned for more posts about Italy coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. I respond to every comment and I'll stop by your blog for a visit as well and will leave a comment for you.