Thursday, October 6, 2016

Day 6 - Prepping for a Hurricane

Hurricane Matthew is bearing down on Florida. 

Where will it go? 

Having lived in Florida my whole life (with the exception of two years in Texas) I've grown accustomed to hurricanes. I've only been in one that was a direct hit and I was pretty young at the time. I just remember all my family sleeping on the living room floor. We couldn't see out because my dad had boarded up the windows. I still remember the sound of the wind and the rain hitting the house. It was terrifying. The house survived but we didn't have electricity for a couple weeks. The house behind had power and my dad fixed the roof on their garage in exchange for letting us hook up an extenstion cord to run our freezer. It's nice when neighbors help each other.

Hurricane Matthew

As I'm writing this post Matthew is a category 4 hurricane which means it has winds from 131 mph to 155 mph. Enough to cause catastrophic damage to property and people. One to take seriously!
I'm not sure how our area of north east Florida will be effected but we're prepping for the worst and hoping for the best!

Hurricane season runs June through November and residents are advised to have emergency supplies on hand. Supplies should include:

First Aid Kit
Flashlights
Batteries
Cell phone (fully charged)
Battery operated radio (with extra batteries)
Non perishable food (enough for at least 3 days)
Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least 3 days
Bleach for clean up and disinfecting water
Matches or lighter
Manual can opener
Evacuation plan
Full tank of gas in the car
Cash and important documents
Large trash bags (to protect items from water damage)


So we have our supplies ready and it's just a matter of wait and see. Hopefully the storm will just brush the coast or better yet it will die out. The next few days will tell. 



Praying for everyone already effected and for those in the path of this storm, Stay safe!





For the month of October I'm going to be writing everyday- 
mostly about walking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. I respond to every comment and I'll stop by your blog for a visit as well and will leave a comment for you.