Thursday, October 13, 2016

Day 13 - Walk to Eat

I've been walking pretty steady for the last 6 or 7 years. One to three miles most nights after dinner and longer walks on the weekend. Plus lots of miles while on vacation. 

I've read articles and blog posts where people have reported losing weight once they started a walking program. Ummmm....that wouldn't be me. 

Now in my defense I haven't gained a pound but I haven't lost many either. I seem to have a perfect balance of calories going in equaling energy going out. I guess that's a good thing because my goodness I do love to eat! 

On our last trip to Italy we did a lot of walking and a lot of eating! I'm sharing just a few of my favorite dishes from what is my favorite country. 


Manzoni Cafe in Milan
This is where I learned to love pasta without the heavy tomato sauce. This was ravioli stuffed with spinach and cheese lightly dressed with olive oil and chopped tomatoes.



Mozzarella cheese (made fresh) served with assorted steamed veggies.



Cafe Le Grazie 

After viewing Milan's most famous mural, Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper, we were ready for some breakfast. Cafe Le Grazie is right across the street from the Basilica di Santa Maria delle Grazie where the mural is painted on the wall. We just had to stop in the small cafe and indulge in a cappuccino and a freshly bake croissant that was filled with apricot marmalade. 





Cafe Montanucci

In the beautiful hill town of Orvieto we stopped in this little cafe because they offered free we-fi. I was delighted to see they also offered rice balls one item that was on my must eat list. Balls of rice stuffed with cheese, breaded and deep fried. Oh so good. 



We ate pizza at too many places to name! Each one different and delicious. 


and of course Gelato.

How many flavors can you get on one cone? 

At least three!




The European answer to fast food...

The Doner Kebab!

Thin slices of meat piled into pita bread topped with creamy yogurt sauce usually served with fries. You can find Doner Kabab shops in almost every town. Good, cheap food.





Add to this list wine, beer, Limoncello and more bakeries than we could ever visit...





All that eating means we definitely have to do a lot of walking!


                                               Delizioso!




For the month of October I'm going to be writing everyday mostly about walking. I hope I might encourage someone to get outside and take a walk!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you. I respond to every comment and I'll stop by your blog for a visit as well and will leave a comment for you.